Reporting Fraud, Waste and Abuse
Abuse means causing any physical, sexual or mental injury to you. This can also be taking advantage of your financial resources.
- Physical abuse. Any inappropriate contact that causes bodily harm. For example, being slapped, scratched, or pushed. Being threatened with a weapon, such as a knife or a gun, is another example.
- Sexual abuse. Any sexual behavior or intimate physical contact that occurs without your permission. This can be touching your genital area, buttocks or breasts.
- Mental abuse. When you feel emotional distress resulting from the use of demeaning or threatening words. This can also include signs, gestures and other actions. For example, controlling behavior, embarrassment or social isolation are types of mental abuse.
- Financial Abuse. When someone uses your money without your consent. This includes improper use of guardianship or power of attorney.
“Fraud” means to knowingly get benefits or payments that you are not entitled to receive. Please let us know if you are aware of someone who is committing fraud. This could be a provider or a member. Some examples of healthcare fraud include:
- A lie on an application
- Using someone else’s ID card
- A provider (doctor) billing for services that were not done
- Transportation (usage abuse)
If you believe that you are being taken advantage of or hurt by someone, report it. All information will be kept private. Stopping fraud and abuse will help protect you. It will also provide more time and money for your healthcare needs.
There are many ways to report fraud and abuse:
- Call Sunflower Health Plan's Waste, Abuse and Fraud Hotline at 1-866-685-8664
- Write to Sunflower's Compliance Department at
Sunflower Health Plan
8325 Lenexa Drive, Suite 200
Lenexa, KS 66214
You can also report Medicaid fraud and abuse to the Kansas Attorney General’s Office at:
Kansas Attorney General’s Office
Attn: Medicaid Fraud and Abuse Division
120 SW 10th Avenue, 2nd Floor
Topeka, KS 66612-1597
1-866-551-6328 or 1-785-368-6220
To report waste, abuse, or fraud, gather as much information as possible.
When reporting about a provider (a doctor, dentist, counselor, etc.) include:
- Name, address, and phone number of provider
- Name and address of the facility (hospital, nursing home, home health agency, etc.)
- Medicaid number of the provider and facility, if you have it
- Type of provider (doctor, dentist, therapist, pharmacist, etc.)
- Names and phone numbers of other witnesses who can help in the investigation
- Dates of events
- Summary of what happened
When reporting about someone who gets benefits, include:
- The person’s name
- The person’s date of birth, Social Security Number, or case number if you have it
- The city where the person lives
- Specific details about the waste, abuse, or fraud